1. Which character is your favorite and why? What character do you relate to the most?
2. What is the symbolism of the winged lion?
3. Why do you think Kathryn chooses to risk her life to pilot death-listed Iranian families out of Iran?
4. What does the Iranian Revolution resemble in today's political climate?
5. Why is flight so important within this book?
6. How does Anthony's being torn between two cultures influence his decision-making?
7. What are your thoughts on Mirdad's complicated relationship with women? (ex. his mother, the prostitute, Kathryn, Madame Shala)
8. Have you ever defied authority for a higher good? What was the outcome? How did you feel afterwards/during?
9. How did you feel about Kathryn's decision to stay one more day and get the last shot? Would you have done it?
10. Can you see yourself having an obsession so great you would resort to any lengths in order to fulfill it?